Public Health Legislative Advocacy
PUBLIC HEALTH ADVOCACY TRAINING
Wednesday, October 1, 2008
8:30am – 4:30pm
Colorado State Capitol Building – Old Supreme Court Chambers
- Colorado Public Health Association (CPHA)
- Colorado Society for Public Health Education (COSOPHE)
- Regional Institute for Health & Environmental Leadership (RIHEL)
Health policy interventions are one of the most effective ways to improve public health. The Health Policy Advocacy Training offers public health students and professionals information and skills to build their capacity to advocate for public health policy. The morning session is an Advocacy 101 session. It will provide an overview of the rules governing public health advocacy and suggestions on how to build relationships with legislators. In the afternoon, participants will receive an overview on the state budget and fiscal policies and an opportunity to practice advocacy skills. Please join us for an engaging and interactive learning opportunity on public health advocacy!
Click here for a copy of the FINAL AGENDA (PDF)
Participants will be able to:
- Contact their legislator(s) within the criteria of rules that apply for government employees and/or nonprofit employees.
- Identify public health organizations they can become a member of to stay informed.
- Distinguish appropriate tactics to get to know and make a meeting with a legislator a success.
- Support and formulate proper responses for an effective public health policy argument.
- Recall ways in which Colorado’s public health budget is developed and how this effects funding programs.
Event is passed.
$25 Affiliate Member; $35 Non-Member (Includes lunch and training materials)
An application has been submitted to SOPHE to award Category I CHES CECH. The Society for Public Health Education, Inc. (SOPHE) is a designated provider of Continuing Education Contact Hours by the National Commission of Health Education Credentialing.olorado’s public health budget is developed and how this effects funding programs.